Elsing Hall is a moated manor house built in about 1470 by the Hastings family. The moat is fully functioning having been recently dredged out and the only access to the building is via an arched bridge. The house is set in a small park which has been planted with many old parkland trees, such as oak, beech, plane and lime, as well as more modern planting of specimen conifer, sweet chestnut and birch trees. The park also hosts the local village cricket team pitch.
The location is rural and peaceful. The house, being set in its own land, has been described as one of the hidden treasures of East Anglia.
The house itself is Grade 1 listed by English Heritage being of “exceptional interest” and is one of the few remaining houses in Norfolk with a traditional great hall open to the rafters. It also has its own chapel adjacent to the house. The house recently underwent an extensive renovation and won Best Renovation awarded by the Norfolk Association of Architects in 2008 as well as several craftsmanship awards.
The house is our private home and as such is not generally open to the public.